Saturday, February 7, 2015

Newb Log

I decided I want a place to blog random things that I think about, do, or read about. Nothing super serious business like Cognitive Discourse was supposed to be, although don't be too surprised if I go on equally long and idiotic rants about philosophy, anarchism, and science I know way too little about. But I also just wanna talk about stuff I watch and read, news articles, life events, that sort of thing.

Mostly the point is to get stuff I think about all the time down in writing to make it obvious how absurd it is. But then, I also think I'm smarter than everyone, so maybe some of it will be worthwhile. Who knows. I at least wanna post something on a regular basis; a few times a week, if not daily. And I'll try to keep each post limited to one topic.

Let's start off in the life event category.

I wanna get a cat. For seriously this time. Been looking online the last couple days at various shelters. Thinking I'd adopt a tom, probably 1-3 years old.

My parents' cats are all toms, so I grew up with these big, super-mellow cats around. Then when I moved in with Kelsey, I lived with a female cat for the first time, and it was totally different. Very hard to clearly explain what makes it so, but female cats are definitely a lot more temperamental and picky than toms. Or, more likely, it's just Josie being the lovable dick that she is. *looks at permanent scar an forearm* Neutered toms, though, should essentially be kittens so long as they're not crazy or territorial.

Kelsey suggested that we'd have to keep whatever cat I get separate from Josie for a while, which makes sense. So, my cat would be in the living room while Josie's locked into Kelsey's room, and then vice versa for a while, until they get used to the idea of another cat's smell around. Then, slowly, heavily supervised introductions. Josie lived with another cat at Kelsey's old place that was apparently a completely non-tenable relationship, meaning that Josie basically just always stayed in Kelsey's room. And I think it took her a very long time to come to terms with the idea that other people/animals (besides Kelsey, e.i. me) could be friendly. Hopefully that mellowing will extend to her meeting a new cat.

However, if it doesn't, I'm not going to keep whatever cat I get. I live with Josie and Kelsey first, and, sad is it would be, I'd def have to pick them over my own cat in a two bedroom apartment. I definitely wouldn't adopt a cat somewhere that didn't have a clear policy allowing me to return it to the shelter if it didn't work out. From what I can tell, though, all the places I've looked at have exactly such a policy over 30 days. However, my goal will be to pick a very friendly, chill cat who will at worst leave Josie alone, assuming she doesn't act like a dick.

Next I've been thinking about where to put a cat box, and I think the only option would be to clear out stuff from under my table and put it there, facing away from my bed. Not ideal, since my room is tiny and my bed is on the floor, but I think it'd be the best I could do. Nowhere else, really to put a box except, like, what, the living room? Don't think we really want cat boxes out there, although it could probably work pretty well if we had them in the corner behind the TV. We don't use that space for anything else anyway, and it would give us impetus to actually clean up/get rid of all the shit back there.

I'm pretty excited. I've definitely had vague thoughts about maybe getting a cat at some point, but this is the first time my brain's actually prodded me hard enough for me to suspect that I'll follow through with it. And, I mean, with guys like this out there, how could I not? Seven pounds, people.

No comments:

Post a Comment